Flight delays and cancellations have hampered air travel for months. If you’re planning a trip, you might wonder which airlines have the best benefits if there’s a cancellation or delay.
Forbes Advisor scored airlines on the services they promise to offer following a flight cancellation or delay due to circumstances within their control:
- Rebook on same airline at no extra cost for cancellation or significant delay
- Rebook on another airline at no extra cost for cancellation or significant delay
- Meal when cancellation or delay causes a wait of three or more hours
- Hotel accommodations for overnight stays for cancellation or delay
- Transportation provided to and from hotel for overnight stay for cancellation or delay
American, Delta, JetBlue and United promise their passengers all five cancellation amenities and all five delay amenities, earning them the top scores.
Ratings: Best and worst airline refund policies for cancellations and delays
|Airline||Forbes Advisor Rating|
Travel insurance can help if your flight is canceled due unforeseen events listed in your policy, such as a hurricane or mechanical issue. But travel insurance generally doesn’t pay out if your itinerary is disrupted because the airline doesn’t have enough pilots. Staff shortages are generally not covered by trip cancellation insurance. And many travel delay benefits do cover common carrier, or airline, delays—but there are specified waiting periods before coverage kicks in.