Waking up early is usually associated with snoozing your alarms and dreading going to work. This, however, is not the norm anymore! Early mornings are now seen as a respite for many. It is a time of undisturbed peace, serene skies and plenty of time to get recharged for your day. With the new social media trend of following a ‘billionaire’s routine’ which includes waking up at 5:00 am and following certain habits, we also bring you 7 reasons why you should wake up early in the morning!
Advantages of waking up early in the morning:
While it may feel like a chore, waking up early soon becomes a habit and a good one that too to inculcate in one’s hectic routine. Not only can you benefit physically but also mentally.
- Time for yourself- When you wake up earlier than your scheduled time, not only can you savour your morning coffee but do a plethora of activities. Do not have time for your hobby? Simple, wake up early. Want to incorporate yoga into your routine? You know it, wake up early! Scientists have also proven the existence of sleep inertia. A two-four hour period after waking up where the brain is unable to function at its full capacity and a sleep-induced fog is experienced. Once you start changing your habit, your productivity and energy levels will increase massively.
- A good night’s sleep- Those who wake up early also tend to fall asleep at a prescribed time. Your body feels more tired and instead of staying up till 3:00 am binging a series, you will find yourself more inclined to take a rest. Going to bed early can enhance your energy and mood levels. This allows you to complete all four-six cycles of sleep so you can feel rejuvenated the next day.
- Enhanced skin- It is a scientifically proven fact that beauty sleep is needed to make your skin look fresh and younger. Sleep deprivation or inappropriate sleep cycles can cause fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles and acne. Your skin cells are regenerated while you sleep, fixing the UV damage and increasing the collagen and blood flow. Waking up early also gives you plenty of time to relish your skincare routine.
- A balanced diet– When you wake up early, you are automatically inclined towards treating yourself with a delicious breakfast that is healthy and makes you feel energized. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you a boost of vitality and you can use the opportunity to be mindful of your consumption throughout the day.
- Less commute time– You have extra time to get ready and look your best for the day while enjoying the empty roads and no traffic jams. Waking up early leads to leaving the house earlier for your work, school or college. Less traffic leads to feeling enthusiastic and optimistic about the day while facing less pollution. What’s more, is that you are guaranteed to never be late for a meeting again!
- Maximize your organization and productivity– If you are having trouble keeping track of things or nothing seems to be going according to plan you need some time to yourself. Waking up early can assist you in evaluating your plans with a clear and calm mind. Plan the day ahead of time, make a to-do list, journal or use a planner. All these are great ways to feel put together.
- Balance your mental health- Research has proven that those who wake up early have shown better mental health symptoms. They are optimistic, satisfied and feel positive about situations. It also lowers the chance of mental illnesses which is usually found in those who go to sleep late and wake up late. This is also an excellent way of reducing stress because you have already started the day earlier.
Tips to wake up early in the morning:
- Find motivation- Whether it be to drink your favourite cup of tea or read a newspaper column, waking up early becomes easier when you have something to look forward to when you wake up. Reward yourself daily for developing good habits.
- Start small- Do not aim for dawn if you are used to waking up at noon. Your body clock requires sufficient time to adjust to a routine. Start by making an hour of change and slowly level up.
- Try out a routine- Routines are proven to be an efficient way to a better lifestyle. Having an approximate time when you go to sleep and wake up can make you feel more in control of your day. Add time to enjoy a leisurely activity too. Remember to include 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep in your schedule.
- Make a mental note to not hit snooze on your alarm. We recommend putting your alarm far away so you have to walk to switch it off.
- Follow good sleep hygiene. This includes no electronics at least 60 minutes before bed, not having heavy meals or snacks at night, sleeping in a dark space and brushing before bed.
Lastly, we must aim to be kind to ourselves and sleep in late some days. Routine and reset days are as necessary as cheat days to maintain balance. Waking up early soon becomes a habit that leads us to be better versions of ourselves.
Disclaimer: The information included on this site is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical treatment by a healthcare professional. Because of unique individual needs, the reader should consult their physician to determine the appropriateness of the information for the reader’s situation.